Yep! This is an HDR shot made from three exposures but this time around, I also 'blended' the shots together in CS3. What do I mean? Well, I ran the three shots through Photomatix Pro which gave me my tonemapped image but Photomatix doesn't always do a good job in leaving you with a pleasing image. Sometime the darks are still dark and the highlights blown or, sometimes it just doesn't 'feel' right. This was the case here.
It looked OK but I wanted a bit more from it, so, in CS3 I loaded up the three HDR exposures PLUS the tonemapped image that had been created in Photomatix and set about creating a different look.
I liked the tonemapped image and, having looked at the original three images, decided to use the 0 EV and the tonemapped images.
In a nutshell this is what I did. I dragged the Tonemapped image on top of the 0 EV image. This gave me two layers, one on top of the other. I then got my eraser tool in CS3, dialled down the opacity to about 30% and then set about selectively erasing parts of the top layer to reveal those parts of the underneath layer that I wanted to poke through.
I know it sounds a bit mysterious but, when I get a bit more time, I'll put together a full tutorial.