Monday, 22 August 2011

Canon S90 V Panasonic GF2

Street Photography has always been my thing. I used to spend hours wandering the streets as a youngster with my old 35mm Fuji ST605 (who remembers them?) taking off the cuff shots. Of course, it all got  a bit cost prohibitive which is as good a reason as any to praise digital. 

The S90 is now my go-to camera when I want to be as unobtrusive as possible. As a point of interest, I  purchased a Panasonic GF2 the other day as I thought the four thirds format might give me a bit more quality. Turns out, it didn't. The colour noise in the shadows is shocking as far as I'm concerned and anything above 400 iso and the noise is screaming at me! Having done a crude side by side with the S90,  I'd go with the S90 all day long. Take a look at the pics below and see what you think, bearing in mind the S90 sensor is smaller.

It's a shame really because the GF2 is a beauty of a camera to look at and a doddle to use but, if it's not producing good quality images, there's no point in keeping it.

I was going to back the GF2 when I thought I'd run a few more shots...it's developed a fault! A pink cast covers the entire image (as if you'd put a pink filter over the lens) and it is showing a row of coloured pixels along the longest edge. Strange!!

So, it Is definitely going back.


S90


GF2


S90


GF2

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that the GF2 didn't work out for you. The S90 is a great little camera and kicks ass for street shooting. I was about to get one when I saw a good price on the GF2 that swayed me at the last minute. I think the flexibility in the lenses gives you a bit more long term development but shot-for-shot I can see why you went with the S90. If you ever get a chance to try out another Micro43 camera then do go for it. They are very dependent on which lens you use and if you get a good lens then the larger sensor will give you bokeh you can't get from the S90.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may well try another micro43 because, to be honest, I enjoyed the feel and weight of the thing but I strongly suspect the model I used was a wrong 'un in many ways so I didn't really get to experience it properly.

    However, I just don't think it would suit me for street photography because I like the unobtrusiveness of a camera as small as the S90. I take your point about the lenses. The S90 does have its limitations but, for now, I'm happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This apartment building is so excellent .

    ReplyDelete