Monday, 23 April 2012

The Solitary Man ~ Winchester Cathedral


The Solitary Man is my 200th post! Since I started this blog I've had nearly 12,500 people drop by so, thank you all for doing so. It's much appreciated.


In the crypt of Winchester Cathedral is a statue by renowned British sculptor Antony Gormley. This mysterious life-size statue of a man contemplating the water held in his cupped hands is called Sound II ( no idea why), fashioned from lead out of a plaster cast of the artist’s own body. The Cathedral crypt floods during rainy months and this chap is literally up to his knees in water.
I was a bit disappointed that the crypt was bone dry when I went -considering this country is normally under about a foot of water at the best of times - AND it had been hammering down with rain on and off all week.
This was taken with the X10 set to EXR mode. It selected an aperture of F/2,5 and a shutter speed of 1/20 of a sec (hence the movement) with an ISO of 800.

1 comment: